Friday, May 14, 2010

Chair Planter Reveal!!!



Remember these chairs from this post?


I bought them off of a neighbor for only $1 each! Can you believe it? Originally, I planned on refinishing them in bright colors with themes to match my boys' personalities. They hung out in my garage for at least a year until I decided that we really didn't have room for anymore pint-sized furniture. I was on the lookout for inspiration when I remembered the planters I had seen at our local nursery. They have the most beautiful things! I have always wanted one of their wheel barrow or chair planters. An idea was born! Why couldn't my old chairs be turned into something like that? 

I don't have the best tutorial pictures for this project because even though I started with a plan, as with most plans, things didn't happen exactly as I had imagined. But that's okay, I followed the path that best worked to make those old brown chairs into my pretty little planters- and that is all that really matters. First I had to figure out how I was going to attach the basket. After considering cutting a hole into the middle of the seat, I opted for taking the entire seat off. This worked for me because I was able to find wire hanging baskets, at Wal-mart, that actually fit inside the chair pretty well. I enlisted my dad's help for drilling through the rivets that held the wooden seat on. I was surprised at how easy dismantling the chairs was.  

Paint. I thought this would be the easiest part. Wrong! I in-visioned a creamy distressed look. My intentions were to paint the chairs blue, only to cover it with a creamy white and then sand the chairs in some places to let the blue peek through. 


However, once I saw the blue, I fell in love with the beautiful color - but I still wanted a distressed look. I took the cream color and lightly spayed over the blue paint. It was totally splotchy and speckled and really uneven. But I was hoping it would give me a worn look. Then I sprayed blue right over the top of it. It ended up looking like this.


After the paint had dried, I pushed the baskets through the bottom and wired them to the chairs. A couple coconut liners and some flowers and just look at how they turned out!





 I have always loved the idea of transforming everyday objects into extraordinary things that are rare and unique only to me and I am tickled with how these turned out! I can't wait for the flowers to grow a little and cascade down the chairs!

This project participating in...
Visit thecsiproject.com

I'm sharing this idea with


Transformation Thursday

No comments:

Post a Comment