Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Old Fashioned Lemon Bread

I sometimes find myself on a quest in search of a certain recipe. You know, the one that perfectly defines my idea of a certain food. The perfect Sugar Cookie. The perfect Carrot Cake. Recently, the perfect Chiken Penne. I stress, my idea, because I am sure that we all have different opinions about what perfect may be. Hopefully our stars will align and occasionally we will find perfection together. In this case I was wishing for a soft, warm, moist, lemon-drop tasting delight of a little treat.... and I found it! The recipe that would end my search.... at least for lemon bread.


Old-Fashioned Lemon Bread

1 1/2 cups flour
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs
2/3 cup (5 fluid-ounce can) evaporated milk
1/3 cup vegetable oil

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour 8x4-inch baking pan.

Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in large bowl. Beat eggs, evaporated milk, oil, and lemon zest together in medium bowl. Pour egg mixture into flour mixture. Stir until just combined. Pour into prepared pan.

Bake for 55-60 minutes or until wooden skewer inserted into center comes out clean. Using skewar, poke numerous holes in the hot bread, piercing all the way to the bottom. Slowly drizzle the hot Lemon Syrup over the bread (syrup will soak into the bread). Cool on wire rack for 15 minutes; runknife around edge of bread. remove bread to wire rack to cool completely.

Lemon Syrup:

Combine 1/2 cup sugar and 1/4 cup lemon juice (@ 1 lemon) in small, heavy-duty saucepan. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, for @ five minutes or until sugar is dissovled and a light syrup is formed,

*From Nestle Holiday Favorites

No comments:

Post a Comment