Friday, May 7, 2010

Blueberry Muffins



If you have spent much time around here, you know that there are tons of recipes that I love! You also know that I am always on the hunt for that perfect recipe; the one that stops my search and I will make forever more. I do believe that I have found that recipe for blueberry muffins! These are soooo good! I usually have pretty good self-control, and I am almost ashamed to admit it - but I have already eaten THREE of these scrumptious muffins! That's not counting the pieces I snuck off of my kids' blueberry cupcakes (that's what the three-year old calls them!) Moist, sweet -but not too sweet, blueberry heaven! They are wonderful and perfect for a Mother's Day brunch! I don't know what it is about brunch on Mother's Day, but it is my very favorite way to celebrate (it probably has nothing to do with homemade berry syrup, muffins, quiche (I LOVE QUICHE), sticky buns, fresh fruit... ok, I better stop there). I think you get it, I heart these muffins and I hope you do to!

Blueberry Muffins
*From Fine Cooking SweetCakes


Vegetable oil or cooking spray for the pan
3 1/2 cups flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/3 cups sugar
10 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled slightly
1 cup whole milk
1 cup sour cream, room temperature
2 large eggs, at room temperature
1 large egg yolk, at room temperature
2 tsp. finely grated lemon zest, OPTIONAL
1 1/2 cups freshed (washed and dried) or frozen blueberries (don't thaw)


*Note - I was hurrying to make these and forgot I was out of milk. I used water instead, and they were delish! I also left out the lemon zest because I wanted a more classic taste, but add it if you prefer. I also just used softened butter instead of melted and cooled butter. And one last thing - I misread the egg yolk and used an egg white instead - this recipe must be pretty forgiving because there isn't much I stuck with and they were so yummy. Now you get to decide how you want to make them.

Preheat oven to 350. Lightly grease the top of the muffin pan (this keeps tops from sticking) and line with paper cups.

Whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt, in a large bowl. In a medium bowl, whisk sugar, butter, milk, sour cream, eggs, egg yolk, and optional zest until well combined.

Pour the wet ingredients over the dry ingredients and fold gently with a rubber spatula until ingredients are mostly moistened. The batter will be lumpy with quite a few streaks of dry flour. Sprinkle blueberries on the batter and fold in until everything is just combined. There will still be lumps. Don't wait to mix berries in our the batter will become over-mixed.

Fill the paper cups so that the batter is evenly spread and mounds a little over the top of cups. (I ended up with 16 muffins. You could easily stretch the batter if you use less batter per cup.

Bake until golden brown and muffins spring back lightly when pressed in the middle, 30-35 minutes. Let  muffins cool on a rack for 15-20 minutes. Use a table knife to separate the tops (they will probably meld together) and pop out the muffins.

After eating all those muffins today, I have a date with Jillian.







Happy Mother's Day!


Join us Saturdays at tatertotsandjello.com for the weekend wrap up party!


Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment