Monday, August 1, 2011

Greek Feta Vinaigrette (and Homemade Greek Seasoning)


As you may know, I love treats (a quick glance at my recipe box proves this)~ in fact, this is something I am trying to work at. I still want treats, but am trying to focus on yummy, fresh, maybe a little healthier treats, for now anyways. After all, who wants a blogger booty, or at least that's what I call it when I feel like I have been a little heavy on the treat side, especially lately since I  hurt my darn back and haven't been able to get in as much exercise as I like. So I thought we'd start with this salad dressing recipe. It's so good~ great on a salad, and even better drizzled over a homemade gyro. It's cool and creamy, with a little kick. What will you drizzle?

Greek Feta Vinaigrette
*Adapted from Our Best Bites

1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
1/4 cup white vinegar, rice vinegar would be good
2 teaspoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes, more if you desire more heat
1/4 teaspoon, freshly ground pepper
4 cloves garlic, peeled
1/4 cup canola oil
1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
1 teaspoon Greek seasoning, recipe follows

In blender container, combine all ingredients through garlic. Blend until smooth. While blender is running, add oil in a steady stream. Turn off blender, add feta and pulse the blender a few times or until you reach the creamy consistency that you want. Whisk, or blend in Greek seasoning. If possible, refrigerate for about an hour before serving. Drizzle over salad, or homemade gyros.

Greek Seasoning
*adapted slightly from Taste of Home

3 teaspoons dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried mint
2 teaspoons dried thyme
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon dried marjoram
1 teaspoon minced onion
1/2 teaspoon minced garlic

Combine all ingredients in a zip-loc baggie. Use whenever a recipe asks for Greek Seasoning. Store in a cool dry place for up to 6 months.

Photobucket

Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner

No comments:

Post a Comment