Monday, August 29, 2011

Chocolate Chunk Zucchini Brownies {with a gluten free recipe option}

One summer afternoon, long ago when I was a little girl, I remember baking zucchini brownies with my aunt thinking, "Is she seriously going to put that green stuff in our brownies?!?!?!" They baked. They cooled. We tasted, I thought, "Are these the same brownies? The ones with the green stuff?" They were so yummy! No hint of anything green, just pure chocolately goodness. And if you eat them after they have cooled a little, the chocolate chunks are kind of soft and melted and gooey. In fact, after stating that he was ready to try some of those "BIKINI" brownies, my son declared, "How did you get the frosting on the inside?" I was tempted to top my warm brownie with a giant scoop a vanilla ice cream and a drizzle of hot fudge{I promise, that would have earned a place in the sundae hall of fame} except for the small fact that it's not even ten o'clock in the morning, AND I have been working really hard to consciously eat better... the whole smart choices and smaller proportion thing. By the way, the one I ate, it was totally worth it!

Chocolate Chunk Zucchini Brownies
*Recipe adapted from my aunt, Sue Bodner, by Crazy Daisy


2 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup cocoa
1 1/4 cups sugar
1/2 cup Canola oil
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 cups shredded zucchini
1 cup chocolate chunks

*Note~ This is a fantastic gluten free brownie when Bob's Gluten Free All-Purpose Flour is substituted for the regular flour and if gluten free chocolate is used. I think the moisture from the zucchini helps keep the gluten free texture soft and yummy!


Preheat oven to 350. Spray 9x13 pan with cooking spray. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, salt, baking soda, and cocoa. Set aside. In mixing bowl, cream together sugar and oil. Add egg and vanilla, beat until until incorporated. Stir in zucchini. Add dry ingredients and beat until mixed well. Add chocolate chunks, mixing well. Pour into prepared pan and bake for about 25 minutes or until a few crumbs come remain on toothpick after inserted into the middle. Cool slightly and dust with powder sugar, or frost, or simply enjoy as is.

We're off to enjoy our day... we are going for a bike ride.... and to get the rest of these brownies out of my house and to deliver some treats to some friends.
Photobucket
Very Good Recipe Tags: Brownies, Desserts, Zucchini
Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner

No comments:

Post a Comment