Thursday, June 9, 2011

Cheddar Garlic Buttermilk Biscuits {My take on Red Lobster's Cheddar Biscuits}


I have a weakness for carbs. Adding buttermilk, garlic, and cheddar cheese certainly doesn't help matters. At all. I don't want to like them. But I do, I simply can't help it. Sometimes they just call my name and I just can't resist.  Especially when I know they are the perfect match for whatever I am serving for dinner. Or maybe they are dinner. They are what I want for dinner. Just kidding, sort of. Seriously, what's not to like, though? Tell me. Maybe you can help me learn to steer away from them. Until then, you will just have to suffer with me. This is my take on those famous Red Lobster Cheddar Biscuits. We don't have a Red Lobster in my little corner of Wyoming, so I had to figure out how to make my own. I adapted my recipe from this Top Secret Restaurant recipe. They were pretty close, but I certainly don't remember anything green adorning the biscuits in the restaurant. And good luck getting my kids to eat biscuits sprinkled with anything green. Come to think of it, I don't want my biscuits sprinkled with anything green either. I wanted a softer and moister biscuit, enter buttermilk. And cheddar. More cheddar, after all, isn't the cheese the star of this show?

Cheddar Garlic Buttermilk Biscuits
*Recipe by Crazy Daisy Adapted from here.

Biscuit Ingredients 2 1/2 cups Bisquick baking mix
3/4 cups cold buttermilk
4 Tablespoons cold butter, cubed (1/2 stick)
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1 3/4 cups sharp grated cheddar (sometimes I even use 2 cups)

Butter Glaze
2 Tablespoons butter, melted
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Cut butter into Bisquick mix using a pastry cutter or large fork, until small chunks if butter remain the size of peas. Add cheese, buttermilk, and garlic. Mix by hand or with wooden spoon until just combined, don't over mix. Add a splash of buttermilk if mixture seems too dry, the batter will be super thick though, use just enough buttermilk to make everything stick together.

Drop biscuits, by 1/4 cup portions, onto an ungreased cookie sheet. An ice cream scoop works well.

Bake for 15-17 minutes or until the tops begin to turn golden brown.

Melt two Tablespoons of butter in a small bowl in the microwave. Add 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder and stir to combine. Brush on top of biscuits with a pastry brush, spreading the entire butter mix between all the biscuits. Makes @ one dozen biscuits.


Photobucket

Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner

No comments:

Post a Comment