Friday, June 3, 2011

Fudgy Chocolate Chip Cupcakes with Peanut Butter Buttercream Frosting


We just celebrated my littlest's FOURTH Birthday. How did that happen? Seriously, it seems like only moments have passed since the day he was born. We also celebrated my oldest's Kindergarten Graduation... same deal. Time, you are not my friend. I suppose it's a little bittersweet. I want them to be happy and healthy, growing and learning, fun and wonderful. They are, so I really have a lot to be thankful for. They amaze me everyday in a million ways. Blessed. That's what I am. Thankful each time I hear the word "mom", because not all of us have the chance to be parents and so many take it for granted. My life would be so very different without them. I can't don't even want to imagine....blessed, that's what I am. I'll leave it at that and stop whining about time. Should we get back to cupcakes now? I think so!

So those cupcakes up there, they were part of these celebrations. I wanted something kids would be crazy for, but with tastes grown up enough that adults might even enjoy. You can't go wrong with chocolate, especially super moist cupcakes dotted with fudgy melted mini-chocolate chips. Add a little peanut butter buttercream frosting, and you end up with a classic. Here we go.

Fudgy Chocolate Chip Cupcakes with Peanut Butter Buttercream Frosting
*Recipe by Crazy Daisy

Fudgy Chocolate Chip Cupcakes
*The cake recipe itself isn't a JCD original, it's out there just about everywhere, like here at Kevin and Amanda's.

1 box devil's food cake mix (I always use Duncan Hines, I think it's the best)
1 small box instant chocolate pudding mix
1 cup sour cream
1 cup canola oil
4 eggs
1/2 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 (12 oz.) package of mini chocolate chips (2 cups)

Preheat oven to 350. Mix together everything except chocolate chips on medium speed, scraping occasionally. Stir in chips. Pour batter into preferred pan(s). Obviously, if you want cupcakes, use lined muffin tins, or grease and flour it. I used a large cookie scoop to fill the tins (about 3 tablespoons). For baking time, add 10 minutes to the time specified on box and check. Do the toothpick test to check, you'll want a few moist crumbs. The middle won't jiggle anymore and the tops will spring back when touched lightly. If not done, check about every five minutes until done. Cool completely and frost with Peanutbutter Butter Cream Frosting.

Peanutbutter Buttercream Frosting
*Recipe by Crazy Daisy

2 sticks butter, softened
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter (don't use the natural kinds that you have to stir, or the old-fashioned brands)
1 3/4 cups powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

With a whisk attachment, beat butter and peanut butter at medium speed until smooth and creamy. Add powdered sugar and beat until mostly moistened. Scrape bowl and beat at medium-low until fully combined. Add vanilla and beat at medium until fully incorporated. Increase speed to medium high and beat until light and fluffy, scraping bowl occasionally. 

Enjoy your cupcakes! 

I also used this cake recipe to make my son's birthday cake. Any guesses who it might be?

And last, we have a winner! The winner of the At My Grandmother's Knee cookbook is Kadie, who said, "I love cookbooks!! I am a transplant to the south and true southern recipes. My husband gets so excited when I find one and they turn out. Oh, and his favorite cake is Red Velvet so you see I really need this book! Thanks for the giveaway." Congrats! I hope you enjoy your new cookbook!

I'm sharing this yumminess at these parties!
Photobucket
Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner

No comments:

Post a Comment