Monday, May 16, 2011

Salted Caramel Dark Chocolate Strawberries

I am addicted to cookbooks. I love looking through recipes. I think it's an addiction that has been passed down from generations~ my mother shares this addiction as does my grandma. I think we could even toss my great grandma and even my aunts into the mix as well. With this in mind, you can imagine my delight as I walked passed a table at the library with an entire stack of Southern Living there to keep... for a donation. I didn't have any cash, but that sweet librarian told me I could take them if I brought some money with me next time. We are sort of frequent fliers at the library and I think she knew we would be in soon. I dug into the stack and carted off five or six with the most yummy food pictured on the cover. Which is were these strawberries are inspired from. They had me at Salted Caramel Strawberries. They however, dipped theres in mixed nuts, and I couldn't do without dark chocolate. Both probably would have been divine and I could probably handle a layer of toasted coconut smothering all that caramel. Maybe next time. Anyways, seriously, yum.

Salted Caramel Dark Chocolate Strawberries
*Recipe by Crazy Daisy adapted from Southern Living, April 2009 (no link available)

20-25 large strawberries, depending on size
40 caramels, unwrappped (put the kids to work)
3 Tablespoons whipping cream
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cups dark chocolate chips
Sea salt, optional
wax or parchment paper

 Spread wax paper over counter or on cookie sheets and spray with cooking spray. Rinse strawberries. Pat them completely dry with paper towels (the caramel will not stick to damp strawberries).

Microwave caramels, cream, and salt in a microwave-safe bowl at 50% power for 3 1/2 minutes or until smooth, stirring every minute. Dip strawberries halfway into caramel mixture. Place on prepared wax paper.

Place chocolate chips in to a zip-loc bag. Microwave for thirty seconds. Take bag from microwave and use fingers to knead chips. Repeat until chocolate is melted. Cut a small piece off the corner of the bag and drizzle chocolate over strawberries. Sprinkle lightly with sea salt, if desired.

Let stand for about ten to fifteen minutes or until set. Serve immediately or cover and chill. These are best used within eight hours, however ours were in the fridge for a day or two and my husband still adored them.

What do you think? Perfect summer dessert! Don't you think?

Participating in the Summertime Challenge at
Visit thecsiproject.com
I'm sharing this yumminess here!
Photobucket
Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner

No comments:

Post a Comment