Friday, April 15, 2011

Skinny's Skippers - Moving Towards a World Free of MS


I don't know what you know about Multiple Sclerosis (MS), but it is a devastating disease. It is an unpredictable, immune-based disease that attacks the brain and spinal chord with symptoms including numbness, loss of balance and coordination, slurred speech, tremors, paralysis, and blindness. The cause is unknown and there is no cure. MS stops people from moving, and the National MS Society exists to make sure it doesn't by raising funds for research, as well as comprehensive programs and services for people with MS. My family has experienced MS first hand. I have both an uncle and an aunt who endure the debilitating effects everyday. I have seen a once healthy man enjoying life's activities to the fullest - skiing, fishing, and really loving anything outdoors (he even fought for our country when his legs still worked), lose control of his muscles, now scooter bound and struggling just to hold a fork or sign his name. However, his spirit is amazing and I have learned so much about life from him!  He will always be among the list of heroes in my life. 

I usually feel helpless, but I have been volunteering for the National MS Society putting together a Walk MS event this weekend, here in Rock Springs, Wyoming. It's my way of showing a little support. We walk Saturday, April 16th at 10:00 a.m. Our goal is to raise both awareness and money to keep moving toward a cure. I would love your help! If you live in my area, please come walk with us!!! For details, click here.  If not, you could still support us with a donation by following this link.

Have you heard about the fabulous Kristen and her hand stamped sterling silver jewelry? She has worked with me to design a special necklace just for the MS Cause. The signature MOVE IT necklace has been designed especially for this cause. The words, "MOVE IT," serve as a reminder that we are a powerful piece of the movement as we take steps (the shoe) towards a cure, while the orange dangle is the official color for MS awareness. The second dangle is left for you to personalize with a birthstone for yourself or whoever it is you honor or remember with MS. Kristen is donating 10% of sales back to the MS Cause.




Thanks, Kristen for your support!

I want to thank you for listening today. This is a cause that is dear to my heart and I thought I might share it with you all. I appreciate your kindness!


PS - Skinny's Skippers is our team name, just in case you were wondering...
Photobucket

Walk MS Web Banner, 468x60 gif

No comments:

Post a Comment