Friday, February 11, 2011

Chili Meat

I have been working on getting this recipe posted for quite some time now. It is my husband's favorite meal, hands down and I have been promising it to a friend for just about forever! This ones for you, Melissa! The problem getting it posted was that in the past, Momma Daisy usually made it, and it was one of those recipes that she just knew how to make without paying attention too much to measuring. So I had her tell me the basics, guessing on the measurments and sent off to conquer Chili Meat. After all, knowing how to make the husbands favorite meal is bound to come in handy.... I am sure we all can think of a few instances in which we've used food to bribe beg for forgiveness  treat our husbands.

When you make Chili Meat, you will need to consider your heat tolerance. Admittedly, I am a weenie! I do not enjoy spicy foods. So I may not be the best judge when it comes to this, but, I can tell you that making this dish with 5 chili peppers and two tablespoons of chili pepper liquid leave this dish just about a spicy as I can handle. I found that my lips tingled a little from the hot peppers. I enjoy it tamed down a little with only 1 tablespoon of hot chili pepper liquid and about 4 hot peppers (AND I MAKE SURE NONE OF THOSE BABIES END UP ON MY PLATE). If you like things on the spicier side, feel free to spice it up! You may have to play around a little to get it suited to your tastes, but it will be totally worth it!

Chili Meat
*Crazy Daisy Recipe adapted from Momma Daisy

3 lbs. hamburger
32 oz. chicken broth*
4 packages of McKormick Brown Gravy Mix
4-5 Hot Chili Peppers from a 16 oz. jar (usually found close to the pickles and roasted red peppers)
1-2 Tablespoons of the chili pepper liquid
2 onions
4 sweet peppers, assorted colors
3-4 tomatoes

Roll hamburger into 1-inch meatballs. In batches, brown meatballs in a dutch oven pot. Drain grease. Pour chicken broth into dutch oven. Stir in gravy packets, pepper juice, and peppers. Return meatballs to dutch oven. Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer for an hour. 

Meanwhile, clean and prepare veggies. Cut onions and tomatoes into wedges (about 8 wedges each). Peel the onions wedges apart a little.  Cut sweet peppers into 1-inch pieces. After meatballs have simmered, its time to add veggies to steam on top. Place the onions on top of the meat, top with sweet peppers, and place the tomatoes on top. Cover, and let simmer until veggies are crisp tender, probably about 10-15 minutes. Serve over steamed rice. Enjoy!

*This recipe has been updated to a more user friendly version. Some of the prep dishes have been eliminated. I also find using the entire 32 oz. carton works just as well, if not better, and I don't have any left to contend with. I like how it gives a little more broth, without losing any flavor. The only difference I notice, is the broth is a little thinner, which I like. If you don't want to change, go ahead and stay with the original 24 oz.

PS - If you ever want to print any recipes from Crazy Daisy, just use the green button below!
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment