Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Cheesy Bacon Roasted Potatoes


I have an addiction. To potatoes. Specifically Dickey's Baked Potato Casserole. I have been working on my own copycat version, and I am almost happy with it. But one day I didn't feel like mashed potatoes, I wanted roasted potatoes. Enter these Cheesy Bacon Roasted Potatoes. They are packed with the same flavors of  the potato casserole, minus the mashing, maybe a little butter, and probably sour cream and even cream cheese to top it off (super healthy, I know). I think I have a new addiction. To these potatoes. Let me introduce you to them.

Cheesy Bacon Roasted Potatoes
*Recipe by Crazy Daisy

3-5 lbs potatoes, red or yukon, rinsed and cut into 1-inch chunks, enough to spread over the surface of the pan (sometimes it takes all 5 pounds, sometimes not)
1 package bacon chopped into 1/2-inch slices
1/2 onion, chopped
5 cloves garlic, minced or grated
3 Tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
10 green onions, sliced
1/2 to 1 cup shredded cheese, use as much as you'd like ( I like Cheddar, or Colby Jack)

*Note - You may want to add more salt after tasting the potatoes are finished. You never know how much salt the bacon is going to add, so I start with less knowing I can always add more.

Preheat oven to 450. Cover a Texas sheet cake pan with foil and spray with cooking spray. Spread potatoes evenly in pan. Sprinkle bacon, onion, and grated garlic evenly over the top of the potatoes. Drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle with pepper and salt. Use a wooden spoon, or your hands, to mix everything together until well coated. Make sure everything is spread out evenly when you are finished. Place pan in oven and cook for 15 minutes. Stir. Cook another fifteen minutes. Stir again. Meanwhile, slice green onions. If the potatoes look like they are starting to brown, sprinkle onions over potatoes and cook for another fifteen minutes. If everything is not browned and crispy to your liking, cook for another 10-15 minutes or until done. Make sure to keep stirring between cooking intervals. This keeps everything browning evenly. I try to put the green onions on for the last 10-15 minutes only, this way they are sort of crisp tender and don't loose their flavor. When your potatoes are finished, take them out of the oven and sprinkle with cheese. Let the cheese melt and serve. Enjoy!

What are your favorite kind of potatoes?
Photobucket
Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner

No comments:

Post a Comment