Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Banana Bread

If I had to choose one food that represents my childhood, it would be this Banana Bread. My mom made it often (always in a bundt pan as pictured) and it has always been one of my favorites. I make it now and send it to my brother as a little taste of home.  That's it, it tastes like home, perfect and comforting. Or, atleast I think so. I will never look for another Banana Bread recipe, because I know it would only end in disappointment. I love its soft moist texture, somewhere in between cakeish and bread-like and its slightly sweet banana flavor, with just a hint of whole wheat nuttiness. Ummmmmm, so good...

You know that great debate between mixing wet and dry ingredients separately, or simply combining them altoghter in one step, and even better, into one bowl? Depending on the recipe, I use both methods, but another reason I claim perfection with this recipe is because it works perfectly if you mix everything all together in one bowl. Which means less dishes and who isn't all for that?

I place all the dry ingredients into my mixing bowl and give it a little whirl with a wisk just to help it mix evenly. Then I dump all the wet ingredients right on top. Sometimes, if I am in a hurry, I don't even mash the bananas!


After a little mixing,


I pour the mixture into a prepared pan (my well-loved bundt pan makes yet another appearance),


pop it in the oven and VOILA! Isn't that Beautiful!


After cooling,


Slice,


Smear, (butter of course!)


And enjoy (that's what my boys say anyways!)


Banana Bread
*Recipe by Momma Daisy of Crazy Daisy
*note high-altitude directions

2 cups flour
3/4 cups whole wheat flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
4-5 very ripe large bananas, mashed (about 4 cups)
1/3 cup butter, softened
3 tbls. orange juice
2 eggs
1/2 cups chopped walnuts (optional)
1/2 cups raisins (optional)

Preheat oven to 325°. Grease and flour a 12 cup bundt pan or a 9x5 in. loaf pan. Place dry ingredeints in a large mixing bowl. Whisk a few times. Add wet ingredients. Blend on low spead and mix for three minutes on medium speed. Pour into prepared pan. Bake at 325° for 55-65 minutes in bundt pan or for 1 1/2 hours in loaf pan (toothpick will come out clean). Remove immediately from pan. Cool on wire rack.

*High Altitude (I live at  high altitude, so this is the version I use)

Change these ingredient measurements:

1 1/3 cup sugar
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 cup orange juice

Bake at 350° for 55-65 minutes.
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment