Friday, February 24, 2012

Coconut Pineapple Cake


Pin It
It's party time! Two years ago, I started writing this blog on a whim. I had no idea what I was doing or where this little journey would lead to. Not only did I met some amazing friends out Bloggersville, I have learned so much along the way. I cringe at some of the pictures in my earlier posts, but it is fun to see how they have transformed as my skills have improved  and I have developed my own unique style. What does all this have to do with cake? Since it's the month of JCD's Blogiversary, I thought we needed a recipe worthy of celebrating with. And this one is totally deserving. One of my grandfather's favorites, it's a tender coconut cake, dotted with just the right amount of coconut and pineapple, soaked with a slightly sweet creamy pineapple coconut glaze for moistness, and frosted with real sweetened whipped cream. Not only do I love it's flavors, I love how versatile it is. As a layer cake, it is impressive, however, for less formal occasions, I simply bake it in a 9x13 cake pan, and call it good. Still pretty and oh-so-yummy, but without all the fuss.

Coconut Pineapple Cake
*Recipe by Jasey's Crazy Daisy

Cake
1 light colored Super Moist or pudding included cake mix, white, yellow, even golden butter, your preference
3 eggs
1  (14 oz.) can coconut milk, not cream of coconut
1/2 cup flaked coconut
1 (8 oz.) can of crushed pineapple, drained, juice reserved for glaze

Glaze
1 1/2 cups of milk, or less depending on pineapple juice
reserved pineapple juice
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup coconut

Frosting
1 pint heavy whipping cream
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla (use 1 teaspoon if you like more)
coconut for dusting

Prepare pans. If using two 9-inch circle pans, grease them, add a layer of traced parchment paper, then grease and flour. If using a 9x13-inch pan, spay the bottom with cooking spray. Sometimes, I even divide the batter into two 8-inch square baking pans, keep one for my family and making the other in a disposable pan,  send it off to another deserving family. This works perfect for times when I am sending dinner to a new mom, or a grieving family, or even when I just want to surprise my grandpa.

In a large bowl, beat cake mix, eggs, and coconut milk with mixer on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes, scraping occasionally. Stir in coconut and pineapple. Pour into pans. Bake as directed per pan size on box. Don't over bake, I take it out when a few moist crumbs stick to a toothpick. Cool 15 minutes.

While cake is cooling, add enough milk to reserved pineapple juice to make 1 1/2 cups. Combine pineapple-milk mixture, sugar, and 1/2 cup coconut in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 1 minute. Poke holes into cake using a fork, straw, or even a kabob stick. Carefully spoon evenly over warm cake allowing liquid to soak into holes. Pop cake into the fridge to cool completely.

Beat heavy whipping cream, 1/3 cup sugar, and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla until soft peaks form. (If making a layer cake, you may want to beat it just a little extra so that sticks to the sides of the cake. I also spread a little of this prepared cream between layers). Frost cake with prepared whipped cream. Cover cake with remaining coconut.  Keep (and store) in refrigerator until ready to serve. Beautiful!


Enjoy today and if you love cake, who doesn't, I have one of these cookbooks up for grabs. Find out more about the giveaway by clicking here.

Photobucket
Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner

No comments:

Post a Comment