Thursday, September 2, 2010

Lemon Sorbetto


My love affair with gelato began this summer when my parents, boys, and I were visiting my little brother in Seattle. What an amazing trip!!! My boys experienced the ocean for the first time.... we have quite the sea shell collection to show for. And I had my first encounter with gelato! My brother took us to this little place in Ballard called the Fainting Goat. AMAZING!!! The sweetest couple owns the restaurant and rotates through around 40-some spectacular homemade flavors. I was able to visit two nights in a row (and had my stay been longer, I am sure I would have squeezed in a few more visits)  and sampled more than my share as I carefully chose my selection. Some of my fav's - Toasted Almond, Wild Berry, Salted Caramel, Tiramisu, Chocolate... I could go on and on. And I cannot forget to tell you about their homemade waffle cones - icing on the cake! If you are ever near the area, the Fainting Goat is a MUST STOP! And so my addiction began! Today, my son and I took a Gelato class with our besties. We we able to make and sample, five delicious recipes: Fantastic Fantablous Sicilian Chocolate Gelato, Blueberry Gelato, Madagascar Bourban Vanilla Gelato, Pomegranate Gelato, and Lemon Sorbetto (we learned sorbetto is really just a fruit based gelato). They were all fabulous but our favorites were the Pomegranate Gelato and the Lemon Sorbetto. I was so proud of my little guy! He promised, "too blend with the adults," and he did a fabulous job.  He tried everything, just like a true gentleman and found a new favorite - not the chocolate or the vanilla. He was over-the-top excited when his name was drawn and he was able to chose his very fav sample to take home. He choose the Lemon Sorbetto!!! This recipe is definitely worth passing on. Not only is it fresh, tangy, and delicious, it's soooooo very easy! Perfection! And if you have allergies, take a look - no eggs or other dairy, soy, gluten, or nuts!

Lemon Sorbetto
Recipe from The Cia Bella Book of Gelato and Sorbetto

*1 cup fresh lemon juice (@6 large lemons), strained and chilled
2 recipes Simple Syrup (below)
1 Tbsp finely chopped grated lemon zest

* Minute Maid carries fresh lemon juice in the frozen section at grocery store . It is truly amazing!!! As fas as I am concerned, worth its weight in gold. It has no preservatives, is full of flavor, and saves so much time! Try it out and let me know what you think! You will find it with the frozen juice concentrates.

In the container of an ice cream machine, whisk together the lemon juice, simple syrup, and zest. Churn according to manufacturer's instructions. Transfer to an airtight container and freeze for at least 2 hours before serving (that is if you can wait). Let soften for 5-10 minutes before serving.

Simple Syrup

1 cup water
1 cup sugar

In a medium saurcepan, combine water and sugar. Place over medium-high heat and bring to a boil, whisking often to dissolve sugar. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 4 minutes, while continuing to whisk until all the sugar is dissolved. remove from heat and let cool, the transfer to a bowl or container, cover, and refrigerate until cold, at least one hour.

Enjoy - I know we did!

Sharing with


Photobucket
Very Good Recipe Tags: Gelato, Desserts
Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner

No comments:

Post a Comment