Thursday, March 3, 2011

Oven Fried Bacon


I thought I had won the lottery when I found out that you can make bacon in the microwave - good bacon. No more standing over the oven with grease splattering everywhere! The only thing I didn't like was that you could only make a platterful at a time. And then I started hearing rumors about making bacon in the oven, or what I call Oven Fried Bacon. I've seen it floating around blogland, on TV, and when I checked, I even found directions for making bacon in the oven right on the box. I am definitely not claiming the idea as my own, but I am to tell you it works - amazingly! Why do I love this method for cooking baking? First, no greasy splatter. Second, you can make a ton at one time. Third, it frees up your stove top. Fourth, cleanup is a cinch! And finally, its still every bit as good!

Oven Fried Bacon

First cover a cookie sheet with foil. You will want a  cookie sheet with raised sides to prevent grease from running over into your oven. Line your bacon on top of the foil. The slices can be close to each other, but not touching. Turn your oven to 400 and slide your cookie sheet in (there's no need to preheat). It will take 10-17 minutes to cook, depending on how your prefer yours cooked. We like our bacon "squeaky" which is not crisp, but chewy, so I always check mine around 10 minutes and usually pull it around 13 or 14. But if you like yours crispier, you will probably want to leave it in longer. The cooking time will also depend on how thick of a cut you buy so the first couple of times, you may have to experiment, but after that, you should figure out a bacon formula perfect for your needs. You will also want to check the underside (use a fork to lift a corner for a peek), because it will be more done than the top - and if you go by how the tops looks you will almost certainly overcook it! When your bacon is done to your liking, take the baking sheet out of the oven (use hot mitts, please) and remove the bacon to a plate covered with paper towels to soak up the grease. I also cover the top and pat it off from the top. For the clean up - cover that greasy foil with some paper towels. Let the grease soak in, roll everything up together and when it has cooled down and throw it away. Easy peasy!

Let's take a vote. How do you like your bacon? 
Chewy or Crispy?

PS - I have been told you can spray cooking racks with nonstick spray and place them on top of the foil, cooking the bacon on the racks to let extra fat drip off. Then proceed as directed.

I'm sharing this yumminess at T'T&J's The Weekend Wrap-Up Party
Weekend Bloggy Reading
Photobucket
Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner

No comments:

Post a Comment